Sunday, May 11, 2014

Vamos a la Playa

Happy Sunday! It was so beautiful outside and the perfect day to spend outside. We got started early this morning and took the bus to the beachside Vung Tau City. We hiked up 847 steps to a 105 ft tall statue of Jesus that presides over the town. Oh my god it was so hot! I don’t think I’ve sweat more in my life than today… between the heat and the hike, we were dripping. Some people waited in the furnace that was inside Jesus to see the amazing view from his head, but I was in no mood to spend an hour in that 5 story spiral staircase. The view was fantastic: the East Sea on one side, the city on the other. Plus, there were some beautiful tropical trees and alabaster, cherubic statues along the staircase.


Lunch was at a nearby seafood restaurant—the fried calamari was especially good! I cannot get enough of this food. We spent the rest of the afternoon at the beach. The water was very comfortably warm and the sand was very light, fine, and boiling hot. One odd thing was that the Vietnamese in the sea enjoyed throwing the muddy sand at each other. Not for me. I also walked along the beach and collected some seashells. Seeing all the small crabs scuttling into their tiny holes reminded me a lot of India, triggering some great memories of family. Along the beach, there were tons of huge, colorful kites in the shapes of scorpions, cobras, and other things. I wish I would have taken a picture of the scene, but I didn't have my camera on me...

For dinner, a couple of us went out with Julia to a pho place. It was American in portion size and ambience, but Vietnamese in taste and price. I got an amazing bowl of fish pho for about 3 USD. That's ridiculous. I love it. This is probably why I'm so excited for the Ben Thanh Market tomorrow--I want to buy some nice souvenirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment